Making an Iced Coffee: Pro Tips and Tricks from the owner of Finca Velez
Iced coffee is a refreshing beverage that can be enjoyed on a hot summer day or as an afternoon pick-me-up. Making iced coffee at home is easier than you might think, and with a few simple tips and tricks, you can create a delicious and satisfying drink. In this article, we will guide you through the process of making iced coffee and share some useful tips to help you create the perfect brew.
- 1 – 2 shots of espresso
- Ice cubes
- Water or Milk (optional)
- Sweetener or Homemade Syrup (optional)
- Brew your coffee
The first step in making iced coffee is to make your espresso. You can use any of our coffee bean that you like, but Maria recommends using either Ermita or Mujeres.
Pro tip: pull the shot directly over a bit of cold milk or some ice. This preserves a lot of the flavour that the bean has.
- Add ice cubes
Fill a glass with ice cubes and pour the coffee shot (s) that you have just pulled. If you are not going to add milk to your coffee, then we suggest adding a little cold water.
- Add milk or cream (optional)
If you like your iced coffee creamy, you can add milk or cream to the drink. We recommend adding around 150 – 180ml of cold milk for every espresso shot you pulled to make sure you still maintain the flavour of the coffee, however, the world is your pickle!
- Add sweetener (optional)
If you like your coffee sweet, you can add sugar, honey, or homemade syrup of your choice to the drink. Stir well before drinking so that all the flavours are combined.
- Garnish and enjoy!
You can garnish your iced coffee with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or a sprinkle of cinnamon. Then, sit back, relax, and enjoy your homemade cold coffee.
Tips and Tricks:
- Use filtered water to brew your coffee for a cleaner taste.
- Pour the shot (s) over ice or cold milk.
- For a stronger coffee flavour, use coffee ice cubes instead of regular ice cubes.
- Experiment with different types of milk or cream to find the one that best suits your taste.
- To make a large batch of iced coffee, brew a pot of coffee and refrigerate it overnight. In the morning, add ice cubes and milk or cream to the coffee and stir well.
- To make a flavoured iced coffee, add a few drops of vanilla or almond extract to the coffee before pouring it over the ice cubes.